LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND

LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND

Hello and welcome to a strange new world. You have traveled far through the desert, only to be met time and again by one empty oasis after another. You are lost and alone, wandering, wondering if someone, anyone, knows how you feel. And just when you think you can't go on, and no one could possibly understand your struggle, a hand reaches out to you, lifts you to your feet, and carries you to the promised land. He feeds you knowledge, shelters you from the self-righteous (and the ridiculous), and provides you with the tools you need to survive in this brave new world. You are a stranger in a strange land, but you are not alone. Let him be your guide. Follow closely as you travel together on this adventure of a lifetime. For now, you are a foreigner to "Fatherhood" but soon YOU will be the master of this realm.

"No Man is Expendable!"

This is Fodder 4 Fathers...


Fodder of the Week: "If I Can Dream" - Fodder 4 Father's Humble Quest 4 Top 10 Status


Don Quixote, Tilting at Windmills
Click for "Impossible Dream" Video
It's not every day a married, heterosexual male feels dejected when another man doesn't like him. Sure, I felt this
way once before when I was visiting my older brother in San Francisco and we were out for coffee one morning an he was hit on (by another man) and I wasn't. It's not that I like men  (not that there's anything wrong with that), but what's my brother have that I don't? What's any man have that I don't (note to my wife, you are not allowed to answer here)? The fact of the matter is you don't have to be gay to appreciate a compliment from another man- in my book, a compliment is a compliment. Personally, I don't mind getting a pat on the ass from another man in a non-baseball setting, if it means getting noticed. Appreciation is appreciation in my books, and I'll take it where I can get it. But today just wasn't that kind of day for me.



I'm guess the world just isn't ready for someone with my "unique" take on all things "father" related, as when I read the latest top ten list of who's who in Facebook "father" fanfare I was shocked to see that I hadn't made the list. (Here's the article in question: http://fatherhood.about.com/od/technology/tp/Top-Ten-Facebook-Pages-For-Fathers.htm). Sure, if we're going tit for tat, I can barely expect author Wayne Parker to know my work, especially when this is the first time I've ever come across his, but that's not an excuse to keep me off this prestigious list, is it? I write a good post. I both educate and entertain. I talk about things related to being a dad. I've got my Facebook page linked to my Twitter page and vice versa. I #FF. I repost the fine work of others. I visit other pages. I stop to say hello. I invite people to do the same. I'm out there. I'm "happening," but I just don't seem to get the notoriety others have come to enjoy. I guest blog. I'm a member of one parenting group after the other. I comment. I praise. I speak my mind. But no one seems to know who I am or what I'm all about. If this were high school, and I was running for president, I say this was rigged- except for the fact that that would be like a sophomore taking on a senior (or grade nine taking on a grade twelve in Canadian terms). I couldn't hope to win, but that doesn't stop me from running my campaign.

Fine, I have less than 150 Facebook fans while some of the fanpages on this list have thousands. Sure, I've been writing about fatherhood for all of six months while some of these contenders have been writing about it for more years than I can count. And, no, I don't know all the ins and outs of social media self marketing, like they do...But, I know what it's like to be a "new" parent. I know what it's like to be a first-time dad. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but I know how to talk about it in a way that is interesting and informative, even innovative at times. Am I saying I deserve to be on this list- not at all. I follow many of these fine fathers on their facebook pages (and
would love it if some of them would actually follow me back), but I don't think I'm in the same category as these "giants" of fatherhood, mostly because these guys are my dads age (kidding) and have been doing their thing, and doing it well, for a long, long, time. All I can hope is that somewhere, somehow, someone with a following and an eye for up and coming talent (i.e. a fan page worthy of a first-time father's (or mother's) attention) will take the time to pat me on the a$$ and say "good job." Us new guys need some man love too. We don't mind if you stop by and tell us how much you like us. We won't tell anybody that you like the cut of our gib. We just want you to notice us, and appreciate what we're trying to do for the next generation of dads and the women they answer to. We just want you to see the hard work that goes in to being "fodder" for fathers (shameless plug)

So, if you're new to our blog, or you've admired our work for some time, or even if you're an expert that likes what we're trying to accomplish, please take a moment to "like us," whether you join us here, on Facebook, on Twitter, or Blog Frog, or wherever else social networking takes place. We may have a lot to learn, and we may be "socially" inept at times, but we also have a lot to teach to the next group of up and comers in this crazy world we call "fatherhood." Tell your friends, tell your brother, tell the guy down the hall from you in the maternity ward that's been walking his newborn up and down the aisle trying to comfort him to no avail that there's a place he can go find a helping hand (or at least a story about someone who has it worse than he does). Take pity (although we prefer notice) of a guy who spent his whole weekend prepping, painting and preparing a play room for his little girl and still took time to share the experience with the rest of the world. We are the "New Dad"- we are Fodder for Fathers, and we have a dream...

You hear that Wayne Parker @About.com? We just want some love, and we don't care how we get it!

Congratulations to this years winners of About.com's Top Ten Facebook Fan Pages for Fathers...

Man of the house
All Pro Dad
Savvy Daddy
PBS Parents
National Fatherhood Initiative
Single Dad Laughing
Dad Labs
Adventures in Fatherhood
Daddy's Home
Playground Dad

...you're living the dream. We hope to be there with you next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment