LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND

LEAVE NO MAN BEHIND

Hello and welcome to a strange new world. You have traveled far through the desert, only to be met time and again by one empty oasis after another. You are lost and alone, wandering, wondering if someone, anyone, knows how you feel. And just when you think you can't go on, and no one could possibly understand your struggle, a hand reaches out to you, lifts you to your feet, and carries you to the promised land. He feeds you knowledge, shelters you from the self-righteous (and the ridiculous), and provides you with the tools you need to survive in this brave new world. You are a stranger in a strange land, but you are not alone. Let him be your guide. Follow closely as you travel together on this adventure of a lifetime. For now, you are a foreigner to "Fatherhood" but soon YOU will be the master of this realm.

"No Man is Expendable!"

This is Fodder 4 Fathers...


FODDER OF THE WEEK: DIE HARD DAD- WHAT MAKES ME THAT "GUY?"- THE MAKING OF FODDER 4 FATHERS


``Go in the basement. We`re out of diapers...``
  
One might ask, "what makes a grown man wake up one morning and decide to devote his life to talking about little girls?" Well, there are several answers to that question, but only one that isn't really scary. For me, it was the birth of my daughter. I can't really explain it: one moment I was just a guy in his late thirties about to become a father for the first time; the next I was Super Dad. It shocked the hell out of everyone- especially me. I'd never held a baby before. I'd never even seen one up close. It was just something I feared- holding a baby, changing a diaper, being responsible for the well-being of another human life- but, oddly, that all changed the morning my daughter was born.

It's like I went from sitting on the bench to being the quarterback. My wife carried our child for nine months, but the second she hiked me the baby (well actually she lateralled to the doctor who then passed off to me) I just ran with it, and never looked back. I changed my first diaper without ever being asked, or shown how to. I fed my infant child (while my wife slept). I bathed her (once). And, I held her every single second I could whether she was wailing or whining or woefully staring at me as if to say, "Really, you again?" I was THAT guy; the one new moms talk about but don't really believe exist. I was an involved dad, and I liked it.

It was as if I had finally found my true calling in life. My wife never left me a list when she wanted to leave the house- she just left. And there was no screaming, or crying. No one choked on anything or had to be taken to emergency. My child was clothed, fed and clean. No. It wasn't a miracle. It's just the logical progression in the evolution of man. Imagine, a father actually caring for his child? Well, it turns out I'm not unique, as there are many dads doing what I do, but every dad has his own unique perspective- some slightly more unique than others. And so a new chapter in my life began, one where this simple working dad could talk about his experiences as a first-time father... and boy did he ever.

So, as I consider leaving my amateur status behind to go pro (yes, Today`sParent.com, I am writing this article in response to your open call for new parenting bloggers...mostly because my wife told me to) I`m reminded of why I do what I do. I do it for my daughter. I do it for the new dads. I do it for you: those who believe in the underdog. We`re men. We are not fodder for the tabloids. We are Fodder 4 Fathers- the new breed of dad. And we`re bringing it (our special take on parenting) every chance we get.
``And that`s what makes you THAT guy.``
 -Matt Farrell, Live Free or Die Hard.

Related Links: (Some great posts you might have missed)

http://theevilthatyouknow.blogspot.com/2011/08/fears-of-father-dads-with-daughters.html
http://theevilthatyouknow.blogspot.com/2011/04/sit-down-youre-rocking-boat-your-babies.html
http://theevilthatyouknow.blogspot.com/2011/08/fodder-4-fathers-featured-baby-book.html



THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR SUPPORT.
- ADAM
FODDER 4 FATHERS


No comments:

Post a Comment