|"I Dare You."|
Step One: Watch the Pros-
Sure, you could ask your mom to come over and show you, but here's some carefully selected video instead to help ease you in to the right frame of mind to try it on your own (with adult supervision of course- namely the entire pediatric ward nursing staff).
Proper Bath Time Technique:
- Bathing a Newborn: Instructional Video - Youtube (click)
- Bathing an Infant: "No More Tears" (for you or your child): The Johnson's way- Youtube (click)
True, you could take the advice of your wife's best friend, Sally, who seems to be a know-it-all on all things baby (except for how to control her own), or you could do a little research to help your figure out what's best for you, your growing family, and your personal style of parenting. This should start you in the right direction:
- Pros and Cons of the Different Styles of Baby Baths - http://www.babycentre.co.uk/baby/buyingforbaby/bathing/bathandseat/
- Study: Possible Problems with Baby Shampoos (for the cautious) - http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22999573/ns/health-kids_and_parenting/t/chemicals-baby-shampoo-what-do-now/
- Best Baby Shampoos?- http://www.goodguide.com/categories/152655-baby-shampoo##products
- Baby Bath Product Suggestion- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kykdBdEqsw
Safety first! Don't make me worry you with statistics - there are several products on the market to help you protect your baby in the tub- from bathmats to faucet covers- use them! Here's a list to get you started:
- Safety Checklist - http://www.ivillage.com/bathing-your-baby-bathing-safety-checklist/6-a-127842
- Safety Products for the Tub- http://www.nextag.com/baby-bath-safety-tub/compare-html
- Guard Spout (soft)-
- Guard Spout (alternative- hard)- http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=2853080
- Rinse Cup- http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=4193596
Oh, you'll get splashed, and the bigger your baby grows the thinner your patience will get, but always remember: bath time is bonding time. So choose your weapons wisely, and always keep your cool. No one said parenting was easy, but a few carefully chosen toys should help you keep everything under control.
- Bath Toy Suggestions- http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parenting/rub-a-dub-dub-7-best-bath-toys-for-babies-tots-and-kids-2470667#photoViewer=5
- Bath Time Cubby- http://www.toysrus.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=3375735
At the end of the day, who would you rather be:
This guy (the guy whose wife will be yelling at him for the next ten years)?
The Nervous Dad (video)
This guy? (the guy who will be making all his wife's friends jealous)...
The Calm, Sensitive Dad (video)
Well, maybe there's a happy medium? But, regardless, be a man, bathe your baby!
Here's some more links to help get you started: